Wednesday, September 11, 2013

St. Louis Girls Weekend


Labor Day Weekend I got together with two of my good friends from Baylor University for a girl weekend in St. Louis.  Yes, I used to live in St. Louis, but most of the people I knew when I was there are no longer there, and it is amazing how much the city has changed! I was able to fly in Friday night and fly out Monday evening, which gave us 2.5 days of running around the city.  It never ceases to amaze me how much St. Louis has to offer beyond the iconic arch. We went to live blues music in the landing, a guided Schlafly brewery beer tasting, the new addition at the St. Louis Art Museum, the Japanese festival at the Missouri Botanical Gardens, the Budweiser brewery tour, and hiking in Castle Rock State Park,  amongst many meals of delicious food and beverages.  Next year it's a girls weekend in Minnesota!

I wanted to bring my sketchbook, of course, but knew I would be constantly battling the fact that no one really wants to sit and wait for me.  A strategy was in order here.  Before I left I drew up a comic strip like composition of boxes, open space, and text lines.  The thought was that this would force me to limit myself to very small sketches.  Did this really work? Eh, kind of... yes, it did force me to stay small, yes I was able to do some sketching in a more timely manner with everyone staring at me, but no, I will not claim that I was able to sketch absolutely everything on site (the ideal).

No comments:

Post a Comment