Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Lakewood Cemetery with Metro Sketchers


Wow! Nothing like being able to sketch at a beautiful place on a gorgeous day... I think I could have spent all day in a happy state of blissfulness with my sketchbook and Joan Sorano's new Mausoleum at the Lakewood Cemetery.  Any opportunity for my inner (almost) architect self to come out is a good one:) Committing to sketch a section cut of this masterpiece felt as much an exercise in studying and understanding scale proportion as the usual light/shadow/composition challenges that urban sketching brings. Bit by bit, walking down the long hallway each little nook revealed itself as unique and compelling, yet still a part of the greater whole. This is what I hoped to capture - the subtle nuances and manipulations of space.

Again, given the opportunity I could have easily spent endless hours here.  Hopefully next time I'll venture above ground more, but until then, here are a few other photos of the site and building:

No comments:

Post a Comment