Thursday, August 1, 2013

Out and About - Minnecon

This year I got the chance to attend Minnecon, the local Minnesota version of NeoCon in Chicago (an interiors product showcase).  Now, what would an *almost* architect be doing at an interior design show you ask? Gawing of course! I've always enjoyed being involved with the interiors on my projects, which is completely feasible when working on small projects.  Needless to say, I wanted to show a few of my favorites.


Remember when you were a kid and you got to play with squishy surfaces?  Well, that level of fascination has transferred into adulthood with this new liquid motion commercial tile by Hirshfields.  Every time you step on it the liquid under the plastic casing of the tile moves. Yes, I spent quite a while playing around on the two sample pieces. 

 
 
I love Arktura and humbly await the day when after years of saving I might be able to purchase one of their coveted pieces for display (and maybe sit on it) in my own home.  After pondering images of this chair online for quite a while I couldn't take my eyes off this original right in front of me.  Just a humble hint if anyone is looking for a Christmas gift.
 




 
And... amazing 3D wall panels by Soelberg Industries.  The waves I have always loved, but the birch plywood nature inspired ones were new to me, and very much in my line of interests. Rumor has it all the panels were inspired by the natural environment in Utah. Plywood is an amazing thing when the layers are used as a part of the panel design by routing out different patterns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment