Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Solstice Festival - 45th Parallel Spirits

 
I am not sure what a distillery and summer solstice really have in common, other than an excuse to gather people together and spend some time enjoying music, food, a distillery tour, and tastings. Nonetheless, we had a great time on this day trip. As I've had the time to sketch more lately, it's been great to meet others who share in this passion and make sketching a normal day activity. On this day in particular, I got the chance to sit down with my mother at this festival and chat as we sketched together for the first time. This sketch above is my version of our time at the solstice festival. 
 
 

Above is my mom's sketch. I am always amazed at how different each artist sees the world around them - how they compose their image, what details they pick up on as being important, and their choice of color, shade, and value. It's been fun for us to compare our sketches and be able to look at the world through each others eyes. In all, she was a lot looser with her strokes, where I drew more tightly.  She shows people and the sky, whereas I left both of these out of my sketch, focusing more on the building and the tents.

 

Sketching side by side with my mother. If I learned anything on this outing it is this: Similar to backpacking, gardening, and running, when spending all day under the sun sketching - WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment