Saturday, August 17, 2013

Mill City Farmers market

 
A visit from fellow Seattle urban sketcher, Tina Koyama, led to an impromptu urban sketching gathering that I was able to join in on this morning at the Mill City Farmer's Market in Minneapolis. This, being one of the farmer's markets around town that I have not been to before, was all new to me.  After walking around a bit (and buying a few bits of food) I really came to appreciate the tightness that having  a market in between the nooks and crannies of buildings can lend itself to.
 
Unlike many of my other drawing that I post here you'll notice that my straight lines are not really all that straight. Yes, I was trying to pry myself away from the dependency of sketching with a ruler.  Not that a ruler is a bad thing, but the more I think about the idea behind urban sketching, sometimes perfectly straight lines look, well, too perfect to really be an impression made by sketching on location. 
 


Here is everyone who was able to make it out. L-R, Daniel Green, Patty Scott, Tina Koyama, Myself, and Amber Sausen. Be sure to check out the Twin Cities Urban Sketching blog for other sketches from the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment